Peter Levine, a philosopher and expert on youth civic engagement at Tufts University, has posted on his blog a thoughtful list of reminders for organizers. I think these rule could also apply to blogging. Too bad…I am not so well behaved.
Here is his list:
10. Never provoke conflict to prove one’s strength or importance or to guard one’s turf.
9. Hold no grudges.
8. Never resent or complain about not being invited to a meeting, but try to attend meetings to which one is invited.
7. Minimize one’s use of air time in conversations and meetings.
6. Conserve scare resources, such as grants, that others could use if you didn’t have them. Minimize all forms of overhead.
5. Evaluate the effectiveness of organizations but commit to people even if they are not always effective.
4. Don’t gossip; celebrate other people’s work.
3. Charitably interpret other people’s positions and treat differences of opinion as assets.
2. Use every opportunity to help other people develop skills and reputation.
1. Care about whole people, not just about their opinions or their work.